Monday, August 29, 2005

The Future is my favourite Leonard Cohen album as a whole, while I love other songs from other albums as well. Leonard autographed my copy of The Future at the launch party for the album in the venerable Cabana Room of the old Spadina Hotel (which is now a youth hostel) in Toronto. I was flattered that he ignored Rosanna Arquette, who he was dating at the time, to talk to me and my friend about old-time country music.
A couple of years later, at the launch party for Tower of Song: The Songs of Leonard Cohen, we continued that discussion over a number of Red Needles (the drink that Leonard invented; see http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2773316 for the delicious recipe). He's a very gracious, intelligent and funny man. I hope that he gets his recently revealed money problems sorted out.

No comments: