Thursday, August 25, 2005

Tommy Lee Presents Tommyland: The Ride is the name of the new solo album from the Motley Crue drummer. Being the chaste young man that I am, I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't seen the video where Tommy and Pamela Anderson get it on while on a boat. But I'm sure I'd find that ride more interesting than this one. It's not a bad record, but just doesn't have anything to grab my attention aside from The English Butler -- comprised entirely of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous host Robin Leach (or a sound-alike) on Tommy's answering machine, which leads directly into Tired and its lyrical references to Tommy getting tired of Pammy, Puffy tiring of J.Lo, and Hugh Hefner tiring of Playboy bunnies. Tryin' To Be Me is the first single, while its follow-up will be Good Times. That song is also the theme to Tommy's new reality TV show, Tommy Lee Goes To College, which I haven't seen but have read is pretty innocuous. The same can be said of this album. While I've never been a Crue fan, this album -- which was released on Chad Kroeger's 604 label -- doesn't rock as hard as that band. It features contributions from Dave Navarro, Sum 41's Deryck Whibley, Guns 'N Roses' Matt Sorum, Good Charlotte's Joel Madden, Fuel's Carl Bell, Something Corporate's Andrew McMahon and Backstreet Boy Nick Carter, but who cares. As both a drummer and a lover, Tommy is apparently pretty adept with long sticks. But that's not enough to make me listen to this record again.
The Crue played the Molson Amphitheatre on Tuesday night and I passed a couple of big-haired, tattooed, leather-clad dudes walking on Lakeshore who must have been on their way to the show. I didn't know that people still dressed that way. I'd like to think that it was a put-on, but, sadly, I doubt it.

No comments: