Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Rubik — Dada Bandits

Publicist Joanne Setterington told me that this was her new favourite record, so I was curious when my copy arrived in the mail yesterday. The Finnish band's self-produced second album has a lot going on in its 11 tracks. Percussion and piano clash on opener "Goji Berries" and, to a lesser degree, on the busy "Fire Age," which also includes horns and synthesizers. Those last two elements also play a major role on my favourite track, "Richard Branson's Crash Landing." "Radiants" and "You Jackal!!" are both vibrant indie pop tunes, while "Follow Us To The Edge Of The Desert" is quieter and more atmospheric. "Indiana" verges too much on prog rock at times for my tastes, but it's the only song on the disc that I can definitely say that I dislike. I'll give Dada Bandits a 6/10 and will consider checking Rubik out when it comes to Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern on Oct. 15 as part of its current North American tour.
You can find out more here

No comments: